Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Parenting Advice

I'm needing some sleeping advice from any parents out there. Caleb spent half the night last night screaming. He is 14 almost 15 months old and we should be well past the stage. He cried out and we brought him in to our room to comfort him and took him back to his room about 2:30...at 3:30 he was still screaming...mad screaming not hurt screaming. So we brought him back he wouldn't settle so we put him back in his bed and around 4 he finally fell asleep. Then at nap time today I laid him down no problem. Five minuets later he is screaming (screaming, yelling, angry, upset, etc.) he screams for like 10 mins and settels down. Thirty minuets later he startes up again. I let him scream it out for 45 min. just as I am about to go in there he settels and sleeps for 45 min and starts screaming again. And now here he is on my lap completely exhausted and upset every time is I start walking toward his room, so I'm thinking nap time is over for the day. Last week he would wake up early from his nap and cry out but not like this. I don't think he's teething. We were teething bad the last couple of weeks, but now he is fine during the day. I'm not sure what's going through his head. I hate letting him cry it out but I don't want to teach him that he can scream and get what he wants. He's safe, not in pain as far as I can tell, he's just angry or scared...Any Advice?!?
And in other nap news...I think Kaden is just about done with naps. (He is almsot 4). We still have quiet time in our rooms, and now we're going to bed earlier cause he is so tired by the time bed time comes. But I can tell he's not ready for his nap in the afternoons. Kinda sad...he's growing up...and sad for mommy too! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

TYLENOL PM WORKS ALL THE TIME HERE :) J/K EMMALEE STOPPED TAKING NAPS ABOUT A YEAR AGO, THAT WAS VERY SAD DAY HERE. AND NOW IF SHE FALLS ASLEEP FOR SOME REASON DURING THE DAY SHE UP HALF THE NIGHT SO I TRY NOT TO LET THAT HAPPEN. I HOPE IT WORKS OUT FOR YOU THOUGH. MUCH LOVE AND PRAYER.

. said...

I don't really know what to say, Brody did the same thing in the middle of the night for a while now, it was usually around 12:30 and 3 or 4. If I gave him a bottle he would go down perfectly but he would wake up more and more and only go down for a bottle. It ended up that he was getting 4 bottles in the middle of the night (and he doesn't NEED any) and I thought this is just crazy!! I had to just let him cry it out. I did get lucky and he did come down with a cold and so the last few days I've been giving him night time cold medicine! Ahhh, sweet sleep! I didn't think he was teething either, but I think I felt something going on with his molars tonight. Joan has a really good sleep book, I always call her when we are having problems! Is Kaden being too loud and disturbing him? Joans kids sleep with a white noise, like a fan or something, it helps block other noises. I think that is all I got, good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Jeremy did the same thing when he was teething. complete and crazy mad screaming! did it an nap time too. i was so freaked out he was going to give up naps but he ended up ok after a few days. hope it gets better!

Brooke said...

Hmmm... no great ideas here. I know that if I get up with Hope, she cries even louder the next night, so I usually don't bother anymore. I'll pray though!

Joanie, Billy, Harrison, Haven, Hudson, and Holden said...

I DO have a good book! It's called "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth. I highly recommend it. My kids are Awesome sleepers and I give the book most of the credit! I can't tell you how many times i've had problems with them sleeping or just being crabby at certain times of the day, etc, etc, and I picked up the book and read the section that pertained to them and it totally helped! It's almost creepy how right on it always is! Ha ha! I'd offer you some advise from it, but I haven't read it in a while. Definitely check it out though! (btw, I have the older version, but I'm sure it's pretty similar) I know for sure it addresses problems like this. Good Luck!