Friday, May 02, 2008
Any advice?
Well...I sprained...or twisted my ankle really badly yesterday morning. I stepped off a stair wrong at the gym and it twisted and gave out. I sat there for a minute and then it felt fine so I walked on it, ran 2 miles on it, biked on it, and then came home, took a shower, had my devotions, and when I bent over to dry my hair noticed that there was a HUGE swelling on one side...freaked me out a bit so I called my mom and she came over and said it just looked like a sprain. So I've had it wrapped and I've been icing it and elevating it when ever I can...not as easy as it seems with two little boys, two boys that I was babysitting, and house stuff to get done. Praise the Lord, there is no pain when I walk, and although my ankle is a little tender to the touch, and really really ugly from all the bruising. I still want to run in the 5K tomorrow. :) I'm in charge of the registration for the Del Rio 5K tomorrow and this will be my last race before I move. I really want to run, but not be stupid and injure my self beyond fixing. So I'm thinking about just bracing it or wrapping it real well in the morning and just seeing how things go. If it starts to hurt on the run, I'll stop. I won't be out there pushing for a fast time either, I just want to complete it. So any advice? :) Have any quick tips for reducing swelling? Or am I just crazy...I guess that's an option too. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm *obviously* no doctor, but here's what *i* would do in your situation. I've rolled my ankles countless times but never to the point where I couldn't walk on it (swollen - yes. Bruising - yes.). I say do your RICE (rest, ice compress, elevate) as much as possible before the race and see how it is in the morning. Also, take some advil or something to reduce the swelling and keep icing it. I've taken packing tape and taped bags of ice to my body before - you'll look STUPID but it works.. Maybe you can try taping it (or wrapping it) before the run?
I'd hate for you to miss your last run there!! So if you can still walk on it w/o it being tender I say give it a shot. What's the worse than can... eh, let's not go there. If it hurts, don't run. Just go and cheer on everyone else. You know how awesome it is to have strangers cheering you on!
Hope it all works out tomorrow!! Let me know what happens.
I don't know if you want to run. That seems a bit crazy. I am the queen of spraining my ankles and then going out and playing a whole tournament (just ask my dad)...unfortuanetly the older I get the more I realize that was bad for them and they hurt alot and pop alot and I can't really run on them, and sometimes just stepping out the door with a little twist makes them swell up huge...and so on and so on...so I can't tell you either way I just know you don't want to end up with stupid ankles like I have! That is all the advice I have. I hope you have fun either way.
I love you all.
**Linda
So who's advice did you take, mine or Linda's?? LOL!! Just kidding! ;o) i was thinking of you yesterday, what'd did you end up doing?
Post a Comment