Sunday, August 09, 2009

School

Wow...the meet and greet was an interesting experience in which God did some great things. I am just so grateful for how He opened doors and blessings for us. We showed up for the assembly (public school) and were a bit unsettled by the dual English and then repeat in Spanish order, but realized that this was no big deal. They stalled a bit in the assembly as they were waiting to get the class lists still from the office. They posted them outside and when I found out who Kaden's teacher was going to be my heart just sank. It is SO hard not to judge by appereances but my heart was so heavy. We walked into a very unorganized and chaotic class room. She was talking randomly to people and stopping to talk with friends before finishing talking with parents, seemed to be completely uninterested in meeting the children or interacting with them and didn't seem really happy about answering questions. Now granted she was just handed a list of 27+ children and school starts Monday so I know she hasn't had a lot of time to prepare, but still this is your job...act a little happy. She's been teaching K since before I was born, but doesn't have any children of her own...on top of that she is an older woman with a very dishelved apperance. Hair that was very unkept and dyed half purple! She had visible dragon tattoos and dragon stuffed animals up in the room. My heart was just broken, I just didn't feel that there was anyway that I could bring Kaden there on Monday and walk away not knowing what was going to be said to him, taught to him, what he was going to be exposed too. I was beside myself. I just came home and wept. I was just mourning the K experience that Kaden was not going to have. I knew Matt was upset too, but at a loss as to what to do. We reevaluated our thinking on saving money for future schooling 1. we don't know where will be in the future, what our financial situation will be, if I can be working to help put kids into school, or even if we'll still be alive in 5 years! 2. we have a responsibility right now for our son and we need to do what's best for him NOW! SO we decided we would just kick at the Christian school door and see what happened...and it swung wide open! We called the school and there was 2 spots left in K. Kaden is now number 16 a much better ratio then before. Anyways, we found that out and started to pray about 30 min. later the K teacher called us as she had overheard us on the phone and wanted to let us know she was available to meet with us! We jumped in the car and went down. We were overwhelmed by the difference. She was so loving, so organized, so everything you want your child to have. She loves the Lord, there were Bible verses and just a sweet spirt about her and the room. I am so excited about the curriculum and how the day flows. SUCH A HUGE BLESSING. So now begins the rush to try to get everything shopped for, for a new school, plus uniforms. She takes us down to find some gently used uniforms (again something she didn't have to do but did just out of grace) and pulls out a chapel sweater for Kaden. I look inside and say, "what's this!" She says, "Oh, that's just the name of the person before." And I say, "But that's our name!!!" Inside the sweater is "Van H." !!!! Gave us all goosebumps. Such a conformation to our hearts. :) So today I took everything to his new school and got it all set up for him. Another blessing is that like 7 of the students are from his pre-school and he is so excited to see them again. It is going to be a sacrifice but one that is so worth it. We are so blessed and so excited. So while I am still a bit sad he is starting K my heart is just so at peace and rejoicing knowing he will be safe and secure. We know that God could have called us to stay at the public school and that would have been ok and He may in the future...but for this year we know we are where He wants us and where He wants Kaden to be. I love it when God works in obvious ways.
And tomorrow...there will be pictures of Kaden's first day of school!

5 comments:

Family said...

That is an awesome story. The Van H part is unbelievable! You are such great parents and I'm sure it'll be a great place for him to be.

Julie said...

What a great story! Christian school can be such an expense, but hasn't it already paid for itself just in your peace of mind! And going from 27 to 16 students, wow! I think the smaller classes really help, Kylie can already read (and figure out what we are talking about when we 'Spell Talk' uh-oh!)and she just got out of K! I am so glad this all worked out for you guys! I can't wait to see the picts from tomorrow!! (I can't believe you are starting already! We don't start till the 25th or something!)

Michelle said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate the support!!!

Joanie, Billy, Harrison, Haven, Hudson, and Holden said...

Oh Michelle, I'm so glad things worked out and that God opened that door for you! I felt sick when I was reading the first part of your post, I can imagine how you were feeling! We are in a bad school district ourselves and struggled with what to do, but Harrison will be starting K at the Christian school next week! It will definitely be a stretch financially, but we know God will work it out. So glad that you have peace of mind now, and that Kaden is going somewhere where he will thrive!! God works all things for his good! Don't forget to post pictures!

jodes said...

Like Joanie (and you!) i got sick feeling when i read the first part of your post! I am so glad we have a Father who knows what's best, and gives us the desires of our hearts!! And what a CLEAR answer to prayer. I got goosebumps. I love when He does that. :o)