Sunday, October 19, 2008

Big Sur

We stopped a couple times on the drive just to get out and look at the view...I'm not sure what Kaden is pointing to I just love the expression on his face, it makes me giggle. :) 
We stopped by the river before heading further up the road...we would have stayed longer but we weren't allowed to bring in our own picnic stuff, we had to buy food there...so we found a free place to eat! :)
Beautiful blue birds kept darting down to eat the bread we threw to them. They were pretty brave and greedy...some of the birds picked up 3 or 4 pieces before they would fly off! I'm sure we weren't supposed to be feeding the birds since we're not even allowed to feed ducks, but oh well,  it was fun and I didn't see any signs!
There's a deer in the middle of this picture if you look really close! It was actually fairly close to where we were eating lunch so the boys got quite a kick out of watching them. 
Who knew rocks could be beautiful!
Walking along the beach...yes we did go pick pumpkins in shorts and a t-shirts, and go to the beach with sweatshirts! I can't figure out the weather here!

Water comes surging through the hole in the rock formation below. This beach is also famous for it's sunsets. As the sunsets it shines through this hole onto the water. Sounds so romantic...maybe we'll go back without kids and get pictures!
I think this beach would be perfect for filming a pirate movie! There's all kind of cool caves and rock formations, so beautiful. It's hard to see cause our camera isn't the best but the greens and blues in the water we're just amazing. 
Beach brothers...I just love Caleb's little dirty, sandy feet!
The forest and the ocean...a great combo!


 Saturday, Matt took some time off of studying to take our family up the Big Sur coast drive! It is one of the most beautiful drives I've ever seen as you wind down the coast on top of cliffs hundreds of feet above the ocean...it's also very dangerous so you have to go slow, and probably not for those who get car sick as you hit lots of curves (which the boys thought were so fun)! What was really special is this is the drive that my dad used to take our family and any and everyone that ever came to visit us when we lived in California!  I can't even count how many times I've driven this road but it's breath taking every time...if you don't believe me, believe that my two boys sat in the car for over an hour both ways with no "entertainment" except looking outside and never complained! :) We enjoyed a picnic on the forest side of the mountain and saw some neat wildlife and gorgeous Red wood trees, and then drove down to Pfiffer (I'm sure that's not the right spelling) beach just to enjoy the ocean for a while. It's one of those places you can't describe with words. God is so evident in the beauty of His creation! 
 

1 comment:

Jen said...

rocks? beautiful? no no no no no no no no no, michelle. ROCKS. ARE. BORING. boring. I. HATE. GEOLOGY.

miss you <3